When we first meet with school and church leaders about initiating a partnership, they love the idea but they don’t know how to get started. At these times it is a privilege for UpWorks Enriching Schools to share our experiences from previous partnerships and watch as the leaders catch a vision for how it could work in their unique setting.
Enriching Schools sees at least four valuable starting points where a church can impact their community by serving their local school. Each church has different abilities and passions so choosing a way to serve that feels like a good fit for the church helps everything get started on the right foot.
Consider These Ways a Church Can Impact a School:
Events – A church can offer volunteers to help special events at the school run smoothly.
- Beginning of the year Open House or Back to School Nights.
- STEM Nights, Science Fairs, and other academic gatherings.
- Track and Field Days, Dramas/Concerts or other performances.
- Chaperoning field trips.
- Any special event that is important for the school community.
On-Going Volunteer Service – Just a small number of volunteers can make a great difference!
- Tutoring – Reading, math, spelling, or a more sophisticated subject for those who have specific skills.
- Breakfast or Lunch Buddy – Use one meal a week to make a child feel special and important.
- After School Programs – Spend time doing what you love with a small group of students.
- Recess Supervision – Imagine the freedom that gives already stretched staff members.
Material Donations – Giving time can be difficult but well-targeted generosity blesses everyone.
- School Supplies – Begin collecting during the summer to start the school year right.
- Winter Clothing – Needed when winter begins and as students return from Christmas break.
- Teacher Appreciation – Basket of treats or table of food to accompany special school events.
- Food for over weekends or holiday breaks – Hungry students need food in order to do their best in school.
Use of Space – The use of a church facility can be used to greatly benefit students or school services.
- Off-site for large group/one day training – Leadership, class team-building, and anti-bullying.
- After school place for students to gather – Safe, supervised, maybe even entertaining/enjoyable.
- Meeting place for Parent Groups – PTO, class events, parents of specific student groups.
- Anything unique that the church has to offer.
Using this simple list to consider what your church could offer a school just down the street. If you have additional ideas of how your school can benefit from having a church partner, please contact Ken Norman at email@example.com. It is a privilege for us to work with church and school leaders as they discover the starting point for building a relationship that can impact the whole community.
Enriching Schools: Impacting the whole community, one student at a time.
That’s what we do!
Director of Enriching Schools